Monday, August 11, 2003

"Life if all about Priorities"

This is the most valuable piece of advice my Dad ever gave me. Heck, it might be the most valuable piece of advice I've ever gotten. The whole phrase holds a lot of meanings; don't sweat the small stuff....you can't do everything, and you need to decide what is important in life.

For example sleep is high on that list - unless it is surpassed on the list by something more important, like when I would fall behind on projects and school work at college. We all have to prioritize what is most important in our life. It's applicable in many ways, large and small, be it the small tasks you engage in everyday or where you want your life to lead. It relates to family, friends, society, money, religion, and politics.....

Especially politics. I am regularly in awe, considering the current chaotic and unbalanced state of the world, how much time people worry and fret and talk about the stupid shit that goes here and abroad when far more grave and serious issues are at hand.

I know our media sucks, and I've blogged about it on more than one occasion but I can't help but think just how completely fucked up the priorities of so many of our instituitions and individuals everywhere. I gotta confess, my own stance on gay marriage and gays in the church aside*, the fact that this is receiving such prominent media coverage is absolutely ridiculous. We have soldiers dying in Iraq, a window of opportunity to bring peace and democracy in Iraq is getting smaller by the day, the deficit is now the size of Antartica, unemployement homelessness and poverty are on the rise, enviromental catastrophes loom on the horizon, and yet our local newscoverage didn't touch the crisis in Iraq till they covered the minimum quota of 3 local tradgedies.

With all this shit going down, the White House is wasting valuable resources sending lawyers to work within the framework of the constitution to outlaw gay marriages. Last time I heard they were toying with idea of pulling Air Marshals from flights because of the cost. How hard could it be to take the salaries of those stupid wingnut lawyers that are working with Cheney in his 'undisclosed location' trying to ban gay marriage and put it towards the goddamn air marshal program.

The Vatican started their campaign against gay marriage. It would be nice if the Catholic Church put this much effort into resolving the current mess with sex abuse scandals way back when.

And just when I think I have seen it all, I manage to be shocked and amazed. It doesn't happen much, but it is still an occurence from time to time.

*(fyi - I'm pretty much pro-gay on almost all issues)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home