Wednesday, November 06, 2002

Every silver lining has a grey cloud



On Monday it seemed like all the left leaning blogger I read (talking points memo was one) seemed that it was predicting some sort of victory to go to the Democrats, but for some reason I had the persistent nagging reason to believe that it would not be the case. I’m really upset that I was right. I thought maybe that the Democrats could somehow pull out CO, but wouldn’t be surprised if they lost it. The only real shocker for me was Mondale losing in Minnesota. Other than that everything else went as I had expected. For Kyrk to pull out Texas would have been a minor miracle.

By keeping my expectations low in this race was a good thing because I had a bad feeling that the Democrats would lose the Senate, and I was right. Instead of the horror and sinking feeling I got in my stomach 2 years ago, when I watched Florida get called for Gore, then go neutral, then go Bush that feeling was just so overwhelmingly sickening. This year it was very similar to what I expected to feel when I got my 401K report in the mail – you knew it would be bad and there was no use in hiding from it. The knowledge of just how the terrible taste of the medicine would be made it easier to stomach.

I’ve never been an optimist, but I’m doing my best to see the positives in this whole situation;

This could be my imagination but for some reason I get the impression that many people in this country believe that recessions are just like car accidents, they can be avoided with the proper precautions. When I was in HS I was taught in economics that recessions are inevitable, just like growth periods. What goes up must come down.

I have no idea why some people seem to believe that our President is always the person to look towards in order to liven up the economy. Either way Mr. President I have some bad news for you. The recession is not over, and unless you can pull off more than a couple of minor miracles it’s going to be worse in 2004. There’s just no way that after nearly 10 years of growth is the economy just going to right itself.

For some reason The GOP is known for fiscal responsibility, and yet were running deficits and not cutting spending! There is no way that this will improve with a GOP Senate. Of course why should the Senate be any different than the rest of the individuals that make up this county, many of whom are swimming deep in debt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home